Snatching those spare nano-seconds to do some writing.

Welcome to my blog. I'm a chemistry teacher who loves to write. I'll be keeping you up to date with my writing projects and begging you for advice.

Monday 6 June 2016

Back From The Dead with Ringo and some Wacky Bhajis.

I've been writing like a crazy (and writing crazy stuff). This is for a the Hope Comedy Playwriting Award which is held annually and has just closed.

My entry is about Ringo Starr who doesn't want to be a Beatle any more; but his butler's life depends on it. The inspiration is when Ringo decided he wouldn't sign anything and I wondered what he did want. So I paired him with Sanjeev his butler, who makes wicked bhajis and is hiding a secret, then I forced Ringo to send a doppelganger out to impersonate him on tour (he's fed up with playing Beatle tunes). Finally I got Sanjeev into trouble with the local gangsteress, sent Ringo off to find him and let it rip.

The adventure is huge fun, quite surreal and has you wondering who is who. On my way I discovered I can write funny lyrics for songs.  For a quick sample:

Don't ask me to sign stuff
Don't send me your songs
Or ask me for posters
That will hang in your johns.

Even if it doesn't go far in this competition I am going to polish this baby because I love it.  Then it's going out on the prowl in search of a stage and some actors! Be warned.

No comments:

Post a Comment